City in Maryland, United StatesFrederick, MarylandCity of FrederickBridge on Carroll CreekMotto( s): "The City of Clustered Spires" Location within the State of MarylandShow map of MarylandFrederick (the United States) Show map of the United StatesCoordinates: Coordinates: United States Founded1745Government MayorMichael O'Connor (D-MD) Board of AldermenKelly Russell (D-MD) Ben MacShane (D-MD) Derek Shackleford (D-MD) Donna Kuzemchak (D-MD) Roger Wilson (D-MD) Area City24.
28 km2) Land23. 95 sq mi (62. 02 km2) Water0. 10 sq mi (0. 26 km2) Elevation302 ft (92 m) Population City65,239 Price quote 72,244 Density3,016. 95/sq mi (1,164. 84/km2) Urban141,576 (US: 230th)UTC5 (EST) Summer Season (DST)UTC4 (EDT) 21701-21709301, 24024-30325GNIS feature ID0584497I-70, I-270, United States 15, US 40, United States 340, MD 80, MD 144, MD 355Website Frederick is a city in, and the county seat, of Frederick County, Maryland.
Frederick has long been an important crossroads, situated at the intersection of a major northsouth Indian trail and eastwest routes to the Chesapeake Bay, both at Baltimore and what ended up being Washington, D.C. and across the Appalachian mountains to the Ohio River watershed. It is a part of the Washington-Arlington-Alexandria, DC-VA-MD-WV Metropolitan Statistical Location, which is part of a greater Washington-Baltimore-Arlington, DC-MD-VA-WV-PA Combined Statistical Area.
Frederick is house to Frederick Municipal Airport (IATA: FDK), which accommodates general air travel, and to the county's largest company U.S. Army's Fort Detrick bioscience/communications research study installation. Located where Catoctin Mountain (the easternmost ridge of the Blue Ridge mountains) fulfills the rolling hills of the Piedmont area, the Frederick location became a crossroads even prior to European explorers and traders got here.
This ended up being called the Monocacy Path and even the Great Indian Warpath, with some travelers continuing southward through the "Great Appalachian Valley" (Shenandoah Valley, etc.) to the western Piedmont in North Carolina, or traveling down other watersheds in Virginia toward the Chesapeake Bay, such as those of the Rappahannock, James and York Rivers.
Established before 1730, when the Indian path became a wagon roadway, Monocacy was deserted before the American Revolutionary War, possibly due to the river's regular flooding or hostilities predating the French and Indian War, or just Frederick's much better location with simpler access to the Potomac River near its confluence with the Monocacy.
Three years earlier, All Saints Church had been founded on a hilltop near a warehouse/trading post. Sources disagree as to which Frederick the town was named for, however the likeliest candidates are Frederick Calvert, 6th Baron Baltimore (one of the owners of Maryland), Frederick Louis, Prince of Wales, and Frederick "The Great" of Prussia.
Frederick Town (now Frederick) was made the county seat of Frederick County. The county originally reached the Appalachian mountains (locations more west being challenged in between the colonies of Virginia and Pennsylvania until 1789). The existing town's very first home was constructed by a young German Reformed schoolmaster from the Rhineland Palatinate named Johann Thomas Schley (died 1790), who led a party of immigrants (including his partner, Maria Von Winz) to the Maryland nest.
Schley's settlers likewise founded a German Reformed Church (today known as Evangelical Reformed Church, and part of the UCC). Most likely the oldest home still standing in Frederick today is Schifferstadt, integrated in 1756 by German inhabitant Joseph Brunner and now the Schifferstadt Architectural Museum. Schley's group was amongst the numerous Pennsylvania Dutch (ethnic Germans) (as well as Scots-Irish and French and later Irish) who moved south and westward in the late-18th century.
Another essential path continued along the Potomac River from near Frederick, to Hagerstown, where it split. One branch crossed the Potomac River near Martinsburg, West Virginia and continued down into the Shenandoah valley. The other ongoing west to Cumberland, Maryland and ultimately crossed the Appalachian Mountains into the watershed of the Ohio River.
Nevertheless, the British after the Proclamation of 1763 restricted that westward migration route up until after the American Revolutionary War. Other westward migrants continued south from Frederick to Roanoke along the Great Wagon Roadway, crossing the Appalachians into Kentucky and Tennessee at the Cumberland Space near the Virginia/North Carolina border. Other German settlers in Frederick were Evangelical Lutherans, led by Rev.
They moved their objective church from Monocacy to what ended up being a large complex a few blocks further down Church Street from the Anglicans and the German Reformed Church. Methodist missionary Robert Strawbridge accepted an invitation to preach at Frederick town in 1770, and Francis Asbury showed up 2 years later on, both assisting to found a parish which ended up being Calvary Methodist Church, worshiping in a log structure from 1792 (although superseded by bigger buildings in 1841, 1865, 1910 and 1930).
Jean DuBois was designated in 1792, which ended up being St. John the Evangelist Church (built in 1800). To manage this crossroads throughout the American Revolution, the British garrisoned a German Hessian program in the town; the war (the stone, L-shaped "Hessian Barracks" still stand). All Saints Church, put up 1813, Principal Parish Church up until 1855As the county seat for Western Maryland, Frederick not just was an essential market town, but likewise the seat of justice.
Crucial lawyers who practiced in Frederick consisted of John Hanson, Francis Scott Secret and Roger B. Taney. Church Street with All Saints and Reformed Church spires, FrederickFrederick was likewise known during the 19th century for its religious pluralism, with one of its primary roads, Church Street, hosting about a half dozen significant churches.
That initial colonial structure was replaced in 1814 by a brick classical revival structure. It still stands today, although the principal worship area has actually become an even bigger brick gothic church joining it at the back and facing Frederick's City Hall (so the parish remains the earliest Episcopal Church in western Maryland).
John the Evangelist, was integrated in 1800, then rebuilt in 1837 (throughout the street) one block north of Church Street on East Second Street, where it still stands in addition to a school and convent established by the Visitation Sis. The stone Evangelical Lutheran Church of 1752 was likewise rebuilt and bigger in 1825, then replaced by the current twin-spired structure in 1852.
It became an African-American congregation in 1864, relabelled Asbury Methodist Episcopal Church in 1870, and built its existing structure on All Saints Street in 1921. Together, these churches controlled the town, set against the backdrop of the very first ridge of the Appalachians, Catoctin Mountain. The abolitionist poet John Greenleaf Whittier later commemorated this view of Frederick in his poem to Barbara Fritchie: "The clustered spires of Frederick stand/ Green-walled by the hills of Maryland." When U.S.
Louis (ultimately developed to Vandalia, then the state capital of Illinois), the "National Pike" ran through Frederick along Patrick Street. (This later on ended up being U.S. Path 40.) Frederick's Jacob Engelbrecht referred Jefferson in 1824 (receiving a transcribed psalm in return), and kept a journal from 1819-1878 which stays a crucial first-hand account of 19th century life from its perspective on the National Roadway.
Church Street by a local medical professional to avoid the city from extending Record Street south through his land to satisfy West Patrick Street. Frederick likewise turned into one of the brand-new country's leading mining counties in the early 19th century. It exported gold, copper, limestone, marble, iron and other minerals. As early as the American Revolution, Catoctin Furnace near Thurmont became crucial for iron production.
Frederick had simple access to the Chesapeake and Ohio Canal, which started operations in 1831 and continued transporting freight till 1924. Also in 1831, the Baltimore and Ohio Railway (B&O) finished its Frederick Branch line from the Frederick (or Monocacy) Junction off the primary Western Line from Baltimore to Harpers Ferry, Cumberland, and the Ohio River.
Louis by the 1850s. Confederate troops marching south on North Market Street during the Civil War Frederick ended up being Maryland's capital city briefly in 1861, as the legislature moved from Annapolis to vote on the secession question. President Lincoln detained numerous members, and the assembly was unable to assemble a quorum to vote on secession.
Slaves likewise left from or through Frederick (since Maryland was still a "servant state" although an unseceded border state) to join the Union forces, work versus the Confederacy and seek freedom. Throughout the Maryland projects, both Union and Confederate soldiers marched through the city. Frederick likewise hosted a number of hospitals to nurse the injured from those fights, as is related in the National Museum of Civil War Medication on East Patrick Street.
Union Major General Jesse L. Reno's IX Corps followed Jackson's men through the city a couple of days in the future the method to the Fight of South Mountain, where Reno passed away. The sites of the fights are due west of the city along the National Roadway, west of Burkittsville. Confederate soldiers under Jackson and Walker unsuccessfully tried to halt the Federal army's westward advance into the Cumberland Valley and towards Sharpsburg.
The 1889 memorial celebrating Major General Reno and the Union soldiers of his IX Corps is on Reno Monument Road west of Middletown, just below the summit of Fox's Gap, as is a 1993 memorial to killed Confederate Brig. Gen. Samuel Garland Jr., and the North Carolina soldiers who held the line.
George McClellan after the Fight of South Mountain and the Fight of Antietam, provided a brief speech at what was then the B. & O. Railroad depot at the existing crossway of East All Saints and South Market Streets. A plaque celebrates the speech (at what is today the Frederick Community Action Company, a Social Solutions workplace).
The Army of the Potomac camped around the Prospect Hall home for the a number of days as skirmishers pursued Lee's Confederate Army of Northern Virginia prior to Gettysburg. A large granite rectangle-shaped monument made from one of the stones at the "Devil's Den" in Gettysburg to the east along the driveway celebrates the midnight change-of-command.
27 million in 2019 dollars) from residents for not razing the city on their method to Washington D.C. Union troops under Major General Lew Wallace battled an effective delaying action, in what became the last considerable Confederate advance at the Battle of Monocacy, also referred to as the "Fight that conserved Washington." The Monocacy National Battleground lies just southeast of the city limitations, along the Monocacy River at the B.
Railway junction where 2 bridges cross the stream - an iron-truss bridge for the railway and a covered wood bridge for the Frederick-Urbana-Georgetown Pike, which was the website of the primary fight of July 1864. Some skirmishing happened more northeast of town at the stone-arched "Container Bridge" where the National Roadway crossed the Monocacy; and an artillery barrage took place along the National Roadway west of town near Red Man's Hill and Prospect Hall mansion as the Union troops pulled back eastward.
While Gettysburg National Battlefield of 1863 lies approximately 35 miles (56 km) to the north-northeast. The reconstructed house of Barbara Fritchie stands on West Patrick Street, just past Carroll Creek direct park. Fritchie, a substantial figure in Maryland history in her own right, is buried in Frederick's Mount Olivet Cemetery.
Roosevelt when they stopped here in 1941 on a vehicle trip to the presidential retreat, then called "Shangra-La" (now "Camp David") within the Catoctin Mountains near Thurmont. Admiral Winfield Scott Schley (18391911) was born at "Richfields", the mansion house of his dad. He became a crucial naval commander of the American fleet on board his flagship and heavy cruiser USS Baltimore along with Admiral William T.
Major Henry Schley's child, Dr. Fairfax Schley, was instrumental in establishing the Frederick County Agricultural Society and the Great Frederick Fair. Gilmer Schley worked as Mayor from 1919 to 1922, and the Schleys remained one of the town's leading families into the late-20th century. Nathaniel Wilson Schley, a prominent banker, and his better half Mary Margaret Schley assisted arrange and raise funds for the yearly Excellent Frederick Fair, among the 2 biggest agricultural fairs in the State.