City in Maryland, United StatesFrederick, MarylandCity of FrederickBridge on Carroll CreekMotto( s): "The City of Clustered Spires" Location within the State of MarylandShow map of MarylandFrederick (the United States) Show map of the United StatesCoordinates: Coordinates: United States Founded1745Government MayorMichael O'Connor (D-MD) Board of AldermenKelly Russell (D-MD) Ben MacShane (D-MD) Derek Shackleford (D-MD) Donna Kuzemchak (D-MD) Roger Wilson (D-MD) Area City24.
28 km2) Land23. 95 sq mi (62. 02 km2) Water0. 10 sq mi (0. 26 km2) Elevation302 feet (92 m) Population City65,239 Estimate 72,244 Density3,016. 95/sq mi (1,164. 84/km2) Urban141,576 (US: 230th)UTC5 (EST) Summer Season (DST)UTC4 (EDT) 21701-21709301, 24024-30325GNIS function ID0584497I-70, I-270, US 15, United States 40, US 340, MD 80, MD 144, MD 355Website Frederick is a city in, and the county seat, of Frederick County, Maryland.
Frederick has long been an essential crossroads, situated at the intersection of a significant northsouth Indian trail and eastwest routes to the Chesapeake Bay, both at Baltimore and what ended up being Washington, D.C. and throughout the Appalachian mountains to the Ohio River watershed. It belongs of the Washington-Arlington-Alexandria, DC-VA-MD-WV Metropolitan Statistical Location, which is part of a higher Washington-Baltimore-Arlington, DC-MD-VA-WV-PA Combined Statistical Area.
Frederick is home to Frederick Municipal Airport (IATA: FDK), which accommodates basic aviation, and to the county's largest employer U.S. Army's Fort Detrick bioscience/communications research setup. Located where Catoctin Mountain (the easternmost ridge of the Blue Ridge mountains) fulfills the rolling hills of the Piedmont area, the Frederick location ended up being a crossroads even before European explorers and traders arrived.
This ended up being referred to as the Monocacy Path and even the Great Indian Warpath, with some travelers continuing southward through the "Excellent Appalachian Valley" (Shenandoah Valley, etc.) to the western Piedmont in North Carolina, or traveling down other watersheds in Virginia towards the Chesapeake Bay, such as those of the Rappahannock, James and York Rivers.
Established prior to 1730, when the Indian path became a wagon roadway, Monocacy was deserted before the American Revolutionary War, perhaps due to the river's routine flooding or hostilities predating the French and Indian War, or merely Frederick's better area with easier access to the Potomac River near its confluence with the Monocacy.
3 years previously, All Saints Church had been established on a hill near a warehouse/trading post. Sources disagree regarding which Frederick the town was called for, but the likeliest candidates are Frederick Calvert, 6th Baron Baltimore (among the owners of Maryland), Frederick Louis, Prince of Wales, and Frederick "The Great" of Prussia.
Frederick Town (now Frederick) was made the county seat of Frederick County. The county originally encompassed the Appalachian mountains (locations additional west being disputed between the nests of Virginia and Pennsylvania till 1789). The present town's very first house was built by a young German Reformed schoolmaster from the Rhineland Palatinate named Johann Thomas Schley (passed away 1790), who led a celebration of immigrants (including his spouse, Maria Von Winz) to the Maryland nest.
Schley's inhabitants likewise founded a German Reformed Church (today called Evangelical Reformed Church, and part of the UCC). Probably the oldest house still standing in Frederick today is Schifferstadt, integrated in 1756 by German settler Joseph Brunner and now the Schifferstadt Architectural Museum. Schley's group was among the lots of Pennsylvania Dutch (ethnic Germans) (in addition to Scots-Irish and French and later Irish) who migrated south and westward in the late-18th century.
Another crucial route continued along the Potomac River from near Frederick, to Hagerstown, where it divided. One branch crossed the Potomac River near Martinsburg, West Virginia and continued down into the Shenandoah valley. The other ongoing west to Cumberland, Maryland and eventually crossed the Appalachian Mountains into the watershed of the Ohio River.
Nevertheless, the British after the Pronouncement of 1763 limited that westward migration route till after the American Revolutionary War. Other westward migrants continued south from Frederick to Roanoke along the Great Wagon Road, crossing the Appalachians into Kentucky and Tennessee at the Cumberland Gap near the Virginia/North Carolina border. Other German settlers in Frederick were Evangelical Lutherans, led by Rev.
They moved their mission church from Monocacy to what ended up being a large complex a few blocks even more down Church Street from the Anglicans and the German Reformed Church. Methodist missionary Robert Strawbridge accepted an invitation to preach at Frederick town in 1770, and Francis Asbury got here 2 years later, both assisting to found a parish which became Calvary Methodist Church, worshiping in a log building from 1792 (although superseded by bigger buildings in 1841, 1865, 1910 and 1930).
Jean DuBois was appointed in 1792, which ended up being St. John the Evangelist Church (developed in 1800). To control this crossroads throughout the American Transformation, the British garrisoned a German Hessian program in the town; the war (the stone, L-shaped "Hessian Barracks" still stand). All Saints Church, put up 1813, Principal Parish Church until 1855As the county seat for Western Maryland, Frederick not just was a crucial market town, however likewise the seat of justice.
Crucial lawyers who practiced in Frederick consisted of John Hanson, Francis Scott Secret and Roger B. Taney. Church Street with All Saints and Reformed Church spires, FrederickFrederick was also understood throughout the 19th century for its religious pluralism, with one of its primary thoroughfares, Church Street, hosting about a half lots significant churches.
That initial colonial building was replaced in 1814 by a brick classical revival structure. It still stands today, although the primary worship area has actually become an even larger brick gothic church joining it at the back and dealing with Frederick's City Hall (so the parish stays the oldest Episcopal Church in western Maryland).
John the Evangelist, was integrated in 1800, then rebuilt in 1837 (across the street) one block north of Church Street on East Second Street, where it still stands in addition to a school and convent developed by the Visitation Sis. The stone Evangelical Lutheran Church of 1752 was likewise rebuilt and enlarged in 1825, then changed by the present twin-spired structure in 1852.
It ended up being an African-American churchgoers in 1864, renamed Asbury Methodist Episcopal Church in 1870, and developed its existing building on All Saints Street in 1921. Together, these churches dominated the town, set against the background of the first ridge of the Appalachians, Catoctin Mountain. The abolitionist poet John Greenleaf Whittier later immortalized this view of Frederick in his poem to Barbara Fritchie: "The clustered spires of Frederick stand/ Green-walled by the hills of Maryland." When U.S.
Louis (ultimately built to Vandalia, then the state capital of Illinois), the "National Pike" ran through Frederick along Patrick Street. (This later became U.S. Path 40.) Frederick's Jacob Engelbrecht corresponded with Jefferson in 1824 (getting a transcribed psalm in return), and kept a journal from 1819-1878 which remains an essential first-hand account of 19th century life from its viewpoint on the National Road.
Church Street by a local medical professional to prevent the city from extending Record Street south through his land to satisfy West Patrick Street. Frederick likewise ended up being one of the brand-new nation's leading mining counties in the early 19th century. It exported gold, copper, limestone, marble, iron and other minerals. As early as the American Revolution, Catoctin Heating system near Thurmont ended up being essential for iron production.
Frederick had simple access to the Chesapeake and Ohio Canal, which began operations in 1831 and continued hauling freight until 1924. Also in 1831, the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad (B&O) finished its Frederick Branch line from the Frederick (or Monocacy) Junction off the primary Western Line from Baltimore to Harpers Ferry, Cumberland, and the Ohio River.
Louis by the 1850s. Confederate soldiers marching south on North Market Street during the Civil War Frederick ended up being Maryland's capital city briefly in 1861, as the legislature moved from Annapolis to vote on the secession question. President Lincoln detained numerous members, and the assembly was unable to convene a quorum to vote on secession.
Servants also gotten away from or through Frederick (since Maryland was still a "slave state" although an unseceded border state) to sign up with the Union forces, work against the Confederacy and seek liberty. During the Maryland projects, both Union and Confederate troops marched through the city. Frederick also hosted a number of medical facilities to nurse the wounded from those fights, as relates in the National Museum of Civil War Medication on East Patrick Street.
Union Major General Jesse L. Reno's IX Corps followed Jackson's males through the city a couple of days in the future the method to the Fight of South Mountain, where Reno died. The sites of the fights are due west of the city along the National Road, west of Burkittsville. Confederate troops under Jackson and Walker unsuccessfully tried to halt the Federal army's westward advance into the Cumberland Valley and towards Sharpsburg.
The 1889 memorial honoring Major General Reno and the Union soldiers of his IX Corps is on Reno Monolith Road west of Middletown, just below the top of Fox's Gap, as is a 1993 memorial to killed Confederate Brig. Gen. Samuel Garland Jr., and the North Carolina soldiers who held the line.
George McClellan after the Battle of South Mountain and the Battle of Antietam, delivered a brief speech at what was then the B. & O. Railroad depot at the current intersection of East All Saints and South Market Streets. A plaque honors the speech (at what is today the Frederick Community Action Agency, a Social Solutions office).
The Army of the Potomac camped around the Possibility Hall property for the several days as skirmishers pursued Lee's Confederate Army of Northern Virginia prior to Gettysburg. A large granite rectangular monolith made from one of the boulders at the "Devil's Den" in Gettysburg to the east along the driveway commemorates the midnight change-of-command.
27 million in 2019 dollars) from people for not taking down the city on their way to Washington D.C. Union soldiers under Major General Lew Wallace fought an effective delaying action, in what became the last significant Confederate advance at the Fight of Monocacy, likewise understood as the "Battle that saved Washington." The Monocacy National Battleground lies simply southeast of the city limits, along the Monocacy River at the B.
Railroad junction where two bridges cross the stream - an iron-truss bridge for the railway and a covered wood bridge for the Frederick-Urbana-Georgetown Pike, which was the site of the primary battle of July 1864. Some skirmishing took place more northeast of town at the stone-arched "Jug Bridge" where the National Roadway crossed the Monocacy; and an artillery barrage happened along the National Road west of town near Red Guy's Hill and Possibility Hall mansion as the Union troops pulled back eastward.
While Gettysburg National Battlefield of 1863 lies approximately 35 miles (56 km) to the north-northeast. The rebuilded house of Barbara Fritchie stands on West Patrick Street, just previous Carroll Creek direct park. Fritchie, a substantial figure in Maryland history in her own right, is buried in Frederick's Mount Olivet Cemetery.
Roosevelt when they stopped here in 1941 on a vehicle journey to the governmental retreat, then called "Shangra-La" (now "Camp David") within the Catoctin Mountains near Thurmont. Admiral Winfield Scott Schley (18391911) was born at "Richfields", the estate house of his daddy. He became a crucial marine commander of the American fleet on board his flagship and heavy cruiser USS Baltimore in addition to Admiral William T.
Major Henry Schley's child, Dr. Fairfax Schley, was instrumental in setting up the Frederick County Agricultural Society and the Great Frederick Fair. Gilmer Schley worked as Mayor from 1919 to 1922, and the Schleys remained one of the town's leading families into the late-20th century. Nathaniel Wilson Schley, a prominent lender, and his better half Mary Margaret Schley assisted organize and raise funds for the annual Great Frederick Fair, among the two largest farming fairs in the State.